THE MEDICAL CENTER VOLUNTEERS, INC.
Organized – 1960
Americans traditionally have a long history of volunteering. In 1832 when Alec de Touqueville toured the United States, he noted with surprise how Americans solved their problems by volunteering, coming together to find solutions to those problems.
In May 1959, Wesley Hospital’s governing Board and Administration met with a small group of lay supporters to discuss the formation of an Auxiliary. Mrs. G. Raymond Campbell agreed to help with the initial organization. In 1960, the Wesley Hospital Auxiliary was founded with approximately 100 members. In 1964, the Wesley Hospital Foundation became affiliated with the United Presbyterian Church and the name of Presbyterian Hospital was adopted, hence the name change to the Presbyterian Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary.
On December 1, 1974, in a bitterly cold day, the Auxiliary assisted the hospital staff with the move to its new and present location at 700 NE 13th Street. With the paint barely dry, the Auxiliary moved into its beautiful new offices.
On October 3, 1985, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), a national for-profit healthcare company, acquired Presbyterian Hospital. Due to the acquisition, the Auxiliary incorporated as a “not-for-profit” organization. In doing so, the name was changed to Presbyterian Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary, Incorporated. On February 10, 1994, Hospital Corporation of America merged with Columbia Healthcare Corporation becoming the nation’s largest health care service provider.
On June 21, 2001, in a joint operating agreement with the State of Oklahoma, the hospital received its new name, OU MEDICAL CENTER, encompassing three area hospitals – The Children’s Hospital of Oklahoma, Presbyterian Hospital and the University Hospital.
On January 8, 2003, the Presbyterian Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary and the University Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary merged into one entity forming The Medical Center Volunteers, Inc. Restated Certificate of Incorporation and amended Bylaws were filed by the hospital’s legal representatives, McAfee & Taft of Oklahoma City. All merger documentation is filed in the Volunteer Office.
Our volunteer organization has grown to be an exciting and evolving organization. We offer a variety of services and continually add new services to better serve our patients and their families. As an integral member of OU MEDICAL CENTER, we strive to provide the patients and families with the most innovative and comprehensive services. You can be proud to be a part of such a viable and progressive group.